Last week kicked off the sixth season for Bellator Fighting Championship with the start of a new featherweight tournament as well as a title fight. At Tonight’s Bellator 61 it’s the middleweight’s taking center stage as eight fighters will begin their journey towards a title shot.
Originally the night was supposed to be headlined by the rematch between Eric Prindle and Thaigo Santos to finally crown a season five heavyweight tournament champion, but an illness to Prindle has delayed the fight a week. Instead, the quarterfinal bout between Maiquel Falcao and Norman Paraisy will serve as the night’s main event.
The action starts at 4pm PT / 7 pm ET on Spike.com with preliminary action, then at 5pm PT / 8pm ET the main card on MTV2 before going back to Spike.com at 7pm PT / 10pm ET for the rest of the preliminary card. Better yet, just follow all the action right here.
Preliminary Card (Spike.com)
185 lbs.: Trey Houston defeated Jeremiah Riggs by 1st rd. Submission (Armbar) (3:30)
- All action in this fight, both trading wild shots as if it was a one round fight. Houston got a takedown and moved to full mount where he’d lock in an armbar after Riggs cage walked in an attempt to get out of the mounted position.
140 lbs.: Jason Sampson defeated Jeremy Myers by 3rd rd. Submission (Rear Naked Choke) (2:25)
- A fairly close opening round turned to Sampson talking over in round two, closing the round out on the back of Myers. It turned to dominance in round three where Sampson again got to the back of Myers and locked in the choke.
170 lbs.: Derrick Krantz defeated Eric Scallan by 1st rd. Submission (Darce) (3:01)
- Krantz came out aggressive and it paid off with a quick takedown. The fight would stay in side control until Scallan gave Krantz and opening for a darce choke submission.
Main Card (MTV2)
185 lbs. Quarterfinal: Brian Rogers defeated Vitor Vianna by 1st rd. KO (4:14)
- Rogers stuffed the takedown attempts from Vianna, made sure to keep the fight standing and for good reason. Rogers stunned Vianna with a right hand and followed it with a flying knee that rendered Vianna flat on his back, out cold.
185 lbs. Quarterfinal: Bruno Santos defeated Giva Santana by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Santana wanted the fight on the ground and Santos didn’t, so with the majority of the fight being a kick boxing match it shouldn’t surprise anyone that Santos won.
185 lbs. Quarterfinal: Vyacheslav Vasilevsky defeated Victor O’Donnell by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Fighters come out throwing but the round ended up seeing three takedowns, two for O’Donnell and one for Vasilevsky. The Russian hurt O’Donnell early in round two and swarmed in for the finish, putting O’Donnell in defense mode. That defense wore down and Vasilevsky put on a rough beating on O’Donnell, who ended the round battered and bloody. O’Donnell had little left in round three and got hurt again and Vasilevsky moves into top position again. O’Donnell somehow gets back up but can’t do anything except take more punishment.
185 lbs. Quarterfinal: Maiquel Falcao defeated Norman Paraisy by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Falcao came out throwing heavy leg kicks and counter striking. In round two Falcao had Paraisy in trouble but decided to toy with his opponent rather than move in for the finish. He continued to show no respect to Paraisy in round three and got sloppy to allow for a reverse from Paraisy but they closed the fight out with a flurry.
Preliminary Card (Spike.com)
155 lbs.: Josh Quayhagen defeated Brent Taylor by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)