Tonight’s Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy event will be the third major event in the span of a single week. With the UFC playing host for the first two events, Strikeforce gets their turn in the spotlight from inside the Rose Garden in Portland, Oregon.
The Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy fight card starts off with four preliminary bouts airing live on Showtime Extreme beginning at 8pm ET/PT and one non-televised bout. Headlining the prelims will be the hometown favorite Pat Healy as he takes on Mizuto Hirota with a possible title fight against Gilbert Melendez on the line. Also appearing on the prelims is Jorge Masvidal taking on Justin Wilcox, Jordan Mein vs. Tyler Stinson, Ryan Couture vs. Joe Duarte and the un-aired bout between Jason High and Nate Moore.
The main card will begin on Showtime at 10pm ET/PT and features two title fights at the top of the card. Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold will defend his title for the second time against Tim Kennedy in the main event, while Tyron Woodley will take on Nate Marquardt for the vacant welterweight title in the co-main event. Opening up the main card will be Roger Gracie making his 185 pound debut against Keith Jardine and Robbie Lawler welcoming Lorenz Larkin to his new weight class.
If you don’t have Showtime or can’t get in front of the TV you can follow all the action right here:
PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)
170 lbs.: Jason High defeated Nate Moore by 1st rd. Submission (Guillotine)
PRELIMINARY CARD (Showtime Extreme)
170 lbs.: Jordan Mein defeated Tyler Stinson by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Mein out boxed Stinson throughout the fight, busting up the right eye of Stinson in the first round and easily taking a judges decision.
155 lbs.: Jorge Masvidal defeated Justin Wilcox by Split Decision (28-29, 29-28, 30-27)
- Masvidal had Wilcox hurt bad in round one but couldn’t finish and seemed to cruise the rest of the fight, which almost backfired.
155 lbs.: Ryan Couture defeated Joe Duarte by Split Decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Really good fight and gritty performance from both fighters as Couture gets the close decision.
155 lbs.: Pat Healy defeated Mizuto Hirota by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Healy had his hands full with Hirota for 15 minutes and really didn’t look all that impressive. The decision win might get him a title fight with Gilbert Melendez but he didn’t do himself any favors.
MAIN CARD (Showtime)
185 lbs.: Lorenz Larkin defeated Robbie Lawler by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Lawler jump out and hurt Larkin in round one but after recovering it was all Larkin from that point. Larkin looked really good in his middleweight deput and defeated a very tough fighter in Lawler.
185 lbs.: Roger Gracie defeated Keith Jardine by Unanimous Decision (29-27, 30-27, 30-26)
Gracie opened up a cut on Jardine that probably kept him from actually getting the submission in round two as both fighters were covered in blood. Gracie held off a late charge from the MMA veteran in round three to get back in the win column in his middleweight debut.
170 lbs. Title Fight: Nate Marquardt defeated Tyron Woodley by 4th rd. KO (1:39)
- What a great back and forth fight for the vacant welterweight title. Both fighter was hurt in the bout but in the forth round the veteran Marquardt took over and ended it with elbows. Nate Marquardt is the new Strikeforce welterweight champion!
185 lbs. Title Fight: Luke Rockhold defeated Tim Kennedy by Unanimous Decision (49-46, 49-46, 49-46)
- The Strikeforce main event couldn’t live up to the co-main event as the challenger couldn’t crack the the champion. Rockhold got taken down twice in the fight but clearly controlled the stand up.
Make sure to follow @MMAValor and @JoshWoodMMA as they will be discussing the fights throughout the Strikeforce: Rockhold vs Kennedy fight card.