The luck has finally run out for “The Baddest man on the planet,” Joe Warren at Bellator 51. The current featherweight champion entered the bantamweight tournament in hopes to become a multiple Bellator title holder. Those dreams went dark just one minute into fight as his opponent Alexis Vila turned his lights out with a left hand.
The quarterfinal round opened with Ed West using his length to keep Luis Nogueira on the outside. The season three running up has his sights set on earning another shot at the Bellator bantamweight title and Zack Makovsky.
Coming off a controversial lose to Joe Warren in his Bellator debut, Marcos Galvao found himself in another tight contest against the veteran Chase Beebe. After surviving an early onslaught of submission attempts from Beebe, Galvao took over and earned a split decision victory.
The night’s fourth quarterfinal fight saw Eduardo Dantas make a successful Bellator Debut when he defeated Bellator veteran Wilson Reis. The fight never hit the ground until Dantas dropped Reis with a knee, followed it up with some ground and pound to advance to the semifinal round.
The exciting 10 bout Bellator 51 card only saw four fights go the distance, here is how the night played out.
135 lbs. Quarterfinal bout: Ed West defeated Luis Nogueira by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
- Nogueira tried to bully West at weight-ins but that didn’t help him in the fight. West used his length to pepper his opponent with punches and kicks from the outside to earn the win.
135 lbs. Quarterfinal bout: Marcos Galvao defeated Chase Beebe by Split Decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Submission attempts flew everywhere from both fighters early on in the fight. All those attempts zapped the energy from Beebe though and Galvao began to take over. Both were gassed by the final round and that made this bout much closer overall.
135 lbs. Quarterfinal bout: Eduardo Dantas defeated Wilson Reis by 2nd rd. TKO
- Kind of a sloppy stand up fight as the two BJJ black belt nullified each other on the ground. Dantas missed with a knee in the second round, but followed it up running knee to the chin that dropped Reis. A little cleanup work and the fight was over with a late referee stoppage.
135 lbs. Quarterfinal bout: Alexis Vila defeated Joe Warren by 1st rd. KO
- Vila landed a big right to Warrens jaw followed up by two left hands to the head before they clinch. They separate and Warren swings for the fences, which left him wide open for a counter left from Vila that would turn the lights out on the self-proclaimed baddest man on the planet.
Local Feature Fights
145 lbs.: Frank Caraballo defeated Dustin Kempf by 1st rd. TKO (knee injury)
Women’s (127 lbs) bout: Jessica Eye defeated Casey Noland by Split Decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
135 lbs.: Jesse Riggleman defeated Farkhad Sharipov by Split Decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)
205 lbs.: Dan Spohn defeated Dane Bonnigson by 1st rd. KO
205 lbs.: John Hawk defeated Allan Weickert by 2nd rd. TKO (retirement)
155 lbs.: Joey Holt defeated Clint Musser by 1st rd. KO
About the Author (Author Profile)My brain child is MMAValor, something I had wanted to do for a long time and finally it’s here. Been an MMA fan since TUF season one (play catch up all the time) and the obsession started to grow like a weed and as the sport grows so does the love for the sport. I’m a jack of all trades, a very organized person that rides an emotional roller coaster daily.
Sites That Link to this Post
- MMA Analysis: Bellator 55 Results | UFC NEWS | October 24, 2011