The long grind of the first live version of The Ultimate Fighter ends tonight at the TUF Live Finale in Las Vegas. Featuring 12 of the 16 TUF Live contestants, the 10 bout card will be headlined by an important match-up in the welterweight division between Jake Ellenberger and Martin Kampmann.
The season of change brought the reality show to a new night, on a new station, with a new format but with the same outcome. Tonight’s TUF Live will crown the 22nd Ultimate Fighter winner and the fifth in the lightweight division.
Both Michael Chiesa and Al Iaquinta have had to endure a grueling four-week period that will end tonight with their third fight in the span of four weeks. A daunting task to say the least but it’s one that holds a substantial reward at the end for the winner.
Follow all the action from tonight’s TUF Live Finale right here and make sure to follow @MMAValor for live tweets from the event. The first bout will begin at 3:25pm PT/6:25pm ET.
Erik Perez defeated John Albert by 1st rd. Submission (Armbar) *
- Albert had Perez in a triangle choke attempt for the longest time but couldn’t seal the deal. He switched to a armbar and was reversed into an armbar from Perez. Fight ended with referee stopping via phantom verbal tap.
Joe Proctor defeated Jeremy Larsen by 1st rd. TKO
- Proctor landed a knee while Larsen was exiting a clinch that dropped him, from there a little ground and pound ended the fight.
Sam Sicilia defeated Cristiano Marcello by 2nd rd TKO
- A very sloppy fight with Marcello back pedaling and Sicilia throwing bombs. Finally landed a left that rocked Marcello, Sicelia followed it up and the referee FINALLY stopped the fight.
Myles Jury defeated Chris Saunders by 1st rd Submission (Guillotine)
- Jury looked very methodical in the fight with Saunders and when the opportunity opened, Jury grabbed the neck of Saunders and held it until he got the tap.
Daron Cruickshank defeated Chris Tickle by Unanimous Decision (29-27, 29-27, 29-27)
- Tickle was taken a point away for an illegal upkick in the first round. He nearly finished the fight in the second round though but Cruickshank hung on to survive the round. The takedowns and top position from Cruickshank earned him the decision.
Justin Lawrence defeated John Cofer by 3rd rd. KO
- Tough fight to score through the first two rounds but that was all for nothing when Lawrence knocked Cofer with a right head kick. Unless something big happen with the last four bouts Lawrence will win tonight’s TUF Live Finale knockout of the night bonus.
Max Holloway defeated Pat Schilling by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27) *
- Holloway picked Schilling a part and hit him with everything he had in these fight. Being out punched forced Schilling to shoot for takedowns from the opposite side of the Octagon. Schilling can take a punch but he needs to learn how to defend them better.
Charles Oliveira defeated Jonathan Brookins by 2nd rd. Submission (Guillotine) *
- The first round was very entertaining back and forth action. In round two Oliveira opened it up things up and from the clinch he got a takedown but ended up in a guillotine. After escaping that he grabbed one of his own with Brookins against the cage that force him to tap.
TUF Live Final: Michael Chiesa defeated Al Iaquinta by 1st rd. Submission (rear naked choke)
- Iaquinta came out like a bulldog at Chiesa and was hurting him but made a mistake that allowed Chiesa to take his back and drag him to the ground. Iaquinta defended the choke for but Chiesa finally got his arm under the chin and began to squeeze. Iaquinta wouldn’t tap and went to sleep to cap off the TUF Live season with a story Hollywood would be proud of.
Martin Kampmann defeated Jake Ellenberger by 2nd rd. KO *
- Ellenberger dominated the opening round and was getting the better of it to open round two as well. A wild punch put Ellenberger and his knee in an odd spot and gave Kampmann an opening. A perfectly placed knee from Kampmann ended the night for Ellenberger.
(*) = Non-TUF Live bouts