The trash talking is all but over between Miesha Tate and Ronda Rousey and the two ladies will settle their squabble inside the Strikeforce cage. The women’s bantamweight title is on the line tonight, but before that happens, Sarah Kaufman and Alexis Davis will fight on the night’s preliminary card to determine the number one contender and next in line for whomever walks away with the belt.
Speaking of number one contenders, the co-main event between K.J. Noons and Josh Thomson will most likely determine who will be next in line for the lightweight title currently around the waist of Gilbert Melendez. The careers of Thomson and Melendez have already crossed paths twice with each man earning a win in a hard-fought title fight.
From top to bottom the Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey card is filled with top fighters from the Strikeforce roster. With many of the promotions divisions seeking a champion or number one contender, there is a lot on the line tonight for every single fighter. Follow all of tonight’s action, starting at 5pm PT / 8pm ET and see which fighters stakes their claim.
Preliminary card (Showtime Extreme)
155 lbs.: Ryan Couture defeated Conor Heun by 3rd rd. TKO (2:52)
- The fight opened up with a lengthy feeling out process but before the round had ended you could see the improved striking from Couture. Heun was able to get a few takedowns but Couture would slap on a submission attempted each time, taking away the ground striking of Heun. By the third round Couture was in control of the striking and desperate. Couture got the takedown and quickly moved to to the back and poured things on until the referee stopped the fight.
155 lbs.: Pat Healy defeated Caros Fodor by 3rd rd. Submission (Arm Triangle Choke) (3:35)
- Fodor came out strong, rocking Healy with a combo and scoring a takedown. Healy would get up and take Fodor down and spend the rest of the round in top position. Healy put the grind on Fodor from that point on through and in the third round the veteran locked in a choke and handed Fodor his first career defeat.
170 lbs.: Roger Bowling defeated Brandon Saling by 2nd rd. TKO (1:15)
- It started out as a brawl until a few too many shots hurt Bowling and he decided to take the fight to the ground. Bowling got Saling in a second crucifix to start round two and Saling could not escape and the fight ended there.
Women’s 135 lbs.: Sarah Kaufman defeated Alexis Davis by Majority Decision (29-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Man these two ladies went at each other and after the 15 minutes were a bloody mess. Davis stood tow to toe with Kaufman and paid for it with a nasty cut above the left eye. It wasn’t until the final round that Davis took the fight to the canvas, but by then it was too late.
Main card (Showtime)
185 lbs.: Ronaldo Souza defeated Bristol Marunde by 3rd rd. Submission (Arm triangle Choke) (2:43)
- It was all Souza in this fight and you had to wonder why it took so long to finish Marunde. Souza rocked his opponent standing and took him down at will. Souza took the fight down for the sixth time and finally got the finish halfway through the final round.
185 lbs.: Lumumba Sayers defeated Scott Smith by 1st rd. Submission (Guillotine) (1:34)
- Smith didn’t look good physically and unfortunately for him, not in the cage either. Sayer picked up and slammed Smith down hard and Smith went for a choke but was out of position. Sayers turned the tables though and locked in a choke of his own.
170 lbs.: Kazuo Misaki defeated Paul Daley by Split Decision (30-27, 28-29, 29-28)
- Misaki really threw Daley off his game tonight and even made the heavy handed Daley look for takedowns. Daley didn’t do much from top position, EXCEPT landing an elbow late in the fight that opened up a nasty cut above the left eye of Misaki. That didn’t stop Misaki from moving forward and keeping the pressure on Daley.
155 lbs.: Josh Thomson defeated K.J. Noons by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Thomson opened with the striking and finished with the ground and pound. He didn’t let Noons get up and even though he didn’t throw a lot of leather at time, he controlled the fight. Noons found himself in big trouble in round three locked in a arm triangle choke that looked deep. He was able to battled out but was unable to get out from under the former champion.
Women’s 135 lbs. Championship bout: Ronda Rousey defeated Miesha Tate by 1st rd. Submission (Armbar) (4:27)
- It went just one round but it lived up to the hype. Tate went right at Rousey, possibly a little too aggressive but they went back and forth for most of the round. Rousey got a judo throw and moved to a dominate position where she could have finished the fight via strikes but she choose to go fore the armbar and turned Tate’s arm in ways it shouldn’t have gone.