The UFC is finally back in action with some late morning / early afternoon action today live from the Ericsson Globe Arena in Stockholm, Sweden. It’s been over a month since the UFC last held an event, though to many it felt like forever. The preliminary card for UFC on Fuel TV: Gustafsson vs. Silva will begin at 9:30am PT / 12:30pm ET with six bouts, leading into the six bout main card beginning at 12pm PT / 3pm ET on Fuel TV.
The card will be headlined by a light heavyweight bout between Sweden’s own Alexander Gustafsson against the returning Thiago Silva. Originally Gustafsson was scheduled to face Antonio Rogerio Nogueira but an injury to “lil Nog” forced his withdraw and Silva stepping in. Silva is returning to action off his suspension, making his first appearance inside the Octagon since January of 2011. Gustafsson comes into his first UFC main event slot riding a four fight winning streak and will look to get his biggest win to date in front of his hometown fans.
How does some late morning / early afternoon MMA sound?
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)
145 lbs.: Jason Young defeated Eric Wisely by Unanimous Decision (30-26, 29-28, 29-28)
- The striking was fairly even but Young won the fight with multiple takedowns and trips throughout the fight that gave him the decision from the judges.
170 lbs.: Simeon Thoresen defeated Besam Yousef by 2nd rd Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
- Yousef came out throwing at an incredible rate but the high output took a toll on him as the fight went into the second round. Thoresen clipped Yousef in the second round and took over on the ground showing his relentless grappling to secure the choke.
155 lbs.: Reza Madadi defeated Yoislandy Izquierdo by 2nd rd. Submission (Guillotine)
185 lbs.: Francis Carmont defeated Magnus Cedenblad by 2nd rd. Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
205 lbs.: Cyrille Diabate defeated Tom Deblass by Majority Decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-28)
- Classic grappler (Deblass) vs. Striker (Diabate) matchup that spent a good chunk of time on the canvas, which should have favored Deblass. Thing is an improved ground game and gassed out opponent swinger the fight in favor of Diabate.
170 lbs.: James Head defeated Papy Abedi by 1st rd. Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
- James Head got the submission finish but it was elbows from the clinch that really one the fight for him. Abedi was rocked with an elbow and went to the ground after two more strikes, allowing Head to easily sink in the choke.
MAIN CARD (FUEL TV)
135 lbs.: Brad Pickett defeated Damacio Page by 2nd rd. Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
- What a crazy pace these two opened the fight with and after weathering the storm Pickett unleashed the takedowns and ground and pound. Pickett had Page in big trouble early in round two but survived long enough to get choked out later in the round.
170 lbs.: John Maguire defeated DaMarques Johnson by 2nd rd. Submission (Armbar)
- Heavy grappling in this fight. Maguire took the fight down right away but Johnson was very active off his back with submission attempts and striking. In round two Maguire used that activity of Johnson from his back to reverse a kimura attempt into an armbar.
145 lbs.: Dennis Siver defeated Diego Nunes by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Super hard fight to score as the two spent a bulk to the fight on the outside throwing kicks. Siver turned things up towards the end of round two and carried that into round three that caught the judges eyes and got him the win
170 lbs.: Siyar Bahadurzada defeated Paulo Thiago by 1st rd. KO
- Siyar countered with a short right hand that knocked out Thiago just 42 seconds into the fight, what a debut!
185 lbs.: Brian Stann defeated Alessio Sakara by 1st rd. KO
- Stann showed some nasty ground and pound tonight, dropping an short left hand that turned the lights out on Sakara’s night
205 Lbs.: Alexander Gustafsson defeated Thiago Silva by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Tough fight for Silva coming off the long layoff and facing a taller opponent with a reach advantage. Gustafsson used those advantages he had to pick Silva apart from the outside to outpoint the Brazilian.
Fight Night Bonuses (50k each.)
Fight of the Night: Brad Pickett vs. Damacio Page
KO of the Night: Siyar Bahadurzada
Sub of the Night: John Maguire