Those of you that are already having some TUF Live withdraw can get their Friday night fix with tonight’s UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall. Live from South Florida by way of the Harley-Davidson Hometown Throwdown, the UFC lands in the BankAtlantic Center with 12 bouts across Facebook, FUEL TV and concluding on FX.
The UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall preliminary card gets started at the bright an early time of 2pm PT / 5pm ET on Facebook with two bouts. At 3pm PT / 6pm ET the prelims will continue on FUEL TV with a bulk of the card (six bouts) before the main card begins at 6pm PT / 9pm ET on FX.
UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall is all about the lower weight classes, with 11 of the 12 bouts being at the welterweight division (170 lbs.) or below. The night is headlined by the first ever flyweight main event between Demetrious Johnson and Ian McCall in a rematch to determine who will face Joseph Benevidez in the first ever Flyweight championship bout.
Also on the night main card is a bantamweight bout between Scott Jorgensen and Eddie Wineland with both fighters trying to get back into the win column. The other two bouts will be in the welterweight division as veterans Josh Neer and Mike Pyle faceoff before Charlie Brenneman and Erick Silva take to the Octagon in the night’s co-main event.
With UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall being completely televised on free TV there should be no excuse not to watch. But for those that still don’t get FUEL TV or FX, as well as those out partying it up we got you covered with live results and fight by fight recaps.
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)
170 lbs.: Sean Pierson defeated Jake Hecht by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Grinding type fight to start the night as Pierson used the clinch along with some timely striking to out point Hecht.
155 lbs.: Henry Martinez defeated Bernardo Magalhaes by Split Decision Decision (30-27, 29-28, 28-29)*
- Martinez looked tentative and Magalhaes couldn’t get the take down making this fight rather slow. Magalhaes showed improved stand-up but it wasn’t enough against Martinez. (*) Fight was originally announced as a unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28).
PRELIMINARY CARD (FUEL TV)
205 lbs.: Buddy Roberts defeated Caio Magalhaes by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Roberts started out fast, hurting Magalhaes twice in the opening round. Magalhaes tried several takedown attempts and was rarely successful and when he was Roberts got right back up.
155 lbs.: Tim Means defeated Justin Salas by 1st rd. TKO (1:06)
- Finally, the first finish of the night. Means started fast and knocked down Salas multiple times before Salas just couldn’t get up anymore.
135 lbs.: Dustin Pague defeated Jared Papazian by 1st rd. Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
- Pague got a trip either off and went right into full mount. Papazian gave up his back and Pague made short work of him from there.
145 lbs.: Matt Grice defeated Leonard Garcia by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- A one-sided fight as Grice repeatedly took Garcia down and beat on him for three rounds. Garcia had no chance as the wrestler dominated and most likely will see his walking papers.
170 lbs.: Seth Baczynski defeated Lance Benoist by Split Decision (27-30, 29-28, 29-28)
- Well lets see, there were two illegal knees with no point deductions and a horrible stand up that over shadowed the fight. A very close fight that was not 30-27 in favor of Benoist that’s for sure!
170 lbs.: Mike Pierce defeated Carlos Eduardo Rocha by Split Decision (27-30, 30-27, 30-27)
- A straight grinding, wrestling specialty by Pierce for 15 minutes. Pierce got the fight to the canvas often and was never in any trouble on his way to a
MAIN CARD (FX)
135 lbs.: Eddie Wineland defeated Scott Jorgensen by 2nd rd. KO (4:10)
- Despite bleeding all over the place, Wineland landed a pretty right hand that dropped Jorgensen in round two. It was the same right that dropped him in the first but unlike the round earlier, this one ended the fight. After a slow preliminary card this fight was just what the UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall card needed.
170 lbs.: Mike Pyle defeated Josh Neer by 1st rd. KO (4:56)
- Right away Pyle took the fight to the ground and kept it there for the majority of the fight. Once back to their feet Neer begins to land some good shots before a short right hand from Pyle ended the fight. Neer went face first into the canvas with just seconds left in the round.
170 lbs.: Erick Silva defeated Charlie Brenneman by 1st rd. Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)
- Very fast paced fight with Silva throwing wild kicks and Brenneman working for takedowns consistently. Off a failed takedown it was Silva turning and taking the back of Brenneman, getting the hooks in and choking out the wrestler.
125 lbs.: Demetrious Johnson defeated Ian McCall by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
Another close fight closes out the UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall fight card. Johnson handled the wrestling of McCall much better this fight and along with his striking out pointed McCall. Johnson Rocked McCall in the first and easily took round one but in the second round McCall came back with three brief takedowns to even the fight. In the final round Johnson secured a takedown and even though he did nothing with it put McCall behind the eight ball. McCall wasn’t able to get that takedown back and knew he had lost the fight. Has to make you wonder “what if” their last fight correctly went to the sudden death round….
The UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall started out slow and had some very questionable calls from the judges and referee’s but the fighters on the main card saved the day.