UFC Live 6: Cruz vs. Johnson kicked off on Facebook with six preliminary bouts that saw none go the distance. The Verizon Center in Washington D.C. was packed and ready to cheer on hometown favorites, MMA veterans and fighters making their UFC debut.
The non-stop action (except for one round) set the bar pretty high for the night’s main card airing on Versus.
135 lbs.: Walel Watson defeated Joseph Sandoval by 1st rd. TKO
- The height and length of Watson was the deciding factor, that and a right head kick to the chin of Sandoval. Watson gave the stunned Sandoval any chance to recover and as quick as it had started, it was over.
170 lbs.: Josh Neer defeated Keith Wisniewski by 2nd rd. TKO (Doctor Stoppage)
- If there was ever a fight that one guy made the other look better, it was this one. Wisniewski implemented the no defense strategy against Neer with bloody results. Neer took advantage of the wide open face to land elbow after elbow, turning the face of Wisniewski into a bloody mess that forced a doctor stoppage.
155 lbs.: TJ Grant defeated Shane Roller by 3rd rd. Submission (Armbar)
- Great scrambles and grappling throughout the fight, transitions galore and several submissions. Grant seemed to be the one coming out on top from most of the scrambles and in round three he transitioned from a guillotine attempt into an armbar that finished that fight. Roller never tapped and was upset over the stoppage but he would later say he grunted during the armbar, which likely caused the stoppage.
135 lbs.: Mike Easton defeated Byron Bloodworth by 2nd rd. TKO
- After a boring, dance party USA for a first round, the second round saw a lot more action. Easton picked up the pace and the damage on Bloodworth. With Easton against the cage he landed multiple knees to the head, then two to the mid-section that dropped Bloodworth and ended the fight.
155 lbs.: Paul Sass defeated Michael Johnson by 1st rd. Submission (Heel Hook)
- Johnson was clearly in charge in the stand up but once the fight went to the ground it was all Sass. Johnson tried to escape the submission but the persistence of Sass was too much to overcome.
155 lbs.: Yves Edwards defeated Rafaello Oliveira by 2nd rd. TKO
- Oliveira came out charging Edwards and looked much improved in the striking department. Edwards weathered the storm despite being cut above the right eye to take control in the second round. Edwards landed a right that stunned Oliveira and keep the punishment coming until the referee stopped the fight.