The Ultimate Fighting Championship has finally made it to Calgary with tonight’s UFC 149 in the Saddledome. The card has seen move change than a vending machine but despite all this turmoil the 11 bout fight card that will go down tonight is a true testament to the depth of the UFC roster.
Headlining UFC 149 is the interim bantamweight championship bout between former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber and the man riding a 29 fight unbeaten streak, Renan Barao. The two were originally scheduled as the UFC 148 co-main event before the original UFC 149 main event between UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo and Eric Koch was pushed back due to one of the many injuries.
Those injuries were felt up and down the card but with fighters like Daniel Pineda, Ryan Jimmo, Brian Ebersole, Cheick Kongo, Tim Boetsch and Hector Lombard still on the card, things look none the worse the wear.
Action starts on Facebook at 4pm PT/7pm ET and you can follow all the action throughout the night right here:
155 lbs.: Anton Kuivanen defeated Mitch Clarke by Split Decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
145 lbs.: Antonio Carvalho defeated Daniel Pineda by 1st rd. KO
Preliminary Card (FX)
135 lbs.: Bryan Caraway defeated Mitch Gagon by 3rd rd. Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
- Gagon came out fast and had Caraway in trouble but was mounted in the closing seconds of round one. He then tired out and Caraway took over, getting a late finish.
205 lbs.: Ryan Jimmo defeated Anthony Perosh by 1st rd. KO (0:07)
- Really can’t have a better UFC debut than knocking your opponent out in record tying time.
135 lbs.: Francisco Rivera defeated Roland Delorme by 1st rd. KO
- Rivera looked great in the fight and had Delorme diving in for takedowns trying to getaway from the striking of Rivera. That didn’t work and Rivera landed a crisp counter punch to turn out the lights.
185 lbs.: Nick Ring defeated Court McGee by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Not sure how Ring won the fight……..
Main Card (PPV)
170 lbs.: Matt Riddle defeated Chris Clements by 3rd rd. Submission (Arm Triangle)
- Clements had no answer for the grappling/wrestling of Riddle.
170 lbs.: James Head defeated Brian Ebersole by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Yeah this “awkward” fight was 15 minutes of awkwardness.
265 lbs.: Cheick Kongo defeated Shawn Jordan by Unanimous Decision (30-28, 30-27, 30-27)
185 lbs.: Tim Boetsch defeated Hector Lombard by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Well the UFC debut of Lombard was lackluster and Boetsch helped that by hanging on the outside waiting for Lombard to press, which he didn’t. Lombard scored to takedowns and hurt Boetsch in the second but the UFC 149 judges must have fell asleep AGAIN.
135 lbs. Interim Title Fight: Renan Barao defeated Urijah Faber by Unanimous Decision (49-46, 50-45, 49-46)
- The UFC 149 main event was just like the previous three main card bouts, lackluster. The “boo’s” and chants of “bullshit” from the crowd in Calgary tell the story of the night starting out with a bang and crapping out with the big fights.
The comments section below will be open during the fights if you’ve got something to say about tonight’s UFC 149.