Forget about tomorrows little NFL game (for now) because tonight is UFC 143 and for some, the main event between Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit is their Superbowl. Their bout is for the interim welterweight title and offers fans one of the more exciting fights thus far this year.
The 11 bout UFC 143 card will kick off with two bouts streaming on Facebook before moving over to FX for four more preliminary bouts, then closing the night out with five main card bouts on PPV.
Preliminary card (Facebook)
185 lbs.: Rafael Natal defeated Michael Kuiper by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
170 lbs.: Stephen Thompson defeated Dan Stittgen by 1st KO [Knockout of the Night]
Preliminary card (FX)
170 lbs.: Matthew Riddle defeated Henry Martinez by Split Decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Martinez came out looking great and took the round with his striking and counter punching. Riddle made the right in fight changes to turn things around and took over in the middle on the second round. Riddle got the node but Martinez showed he could hang in the big show.
170 lbs.: Matt Brown defeated Chris Cope by 2nd rd KO
- Brown put on a lot of pressure right away on Cope and just wore him down. In the 2nd round Brown hurt Cope with a combo and finished him on the canvas.
135 lbs.: Edwin Figueroa defeated Alex Caceres by Split Decision (28-27, 27-28, 28-27)
- Figueroa dropped Caceres in the first round with a big head kick but Caceres recovered to finish the round. Caceres looked good in the second round and also in the third spending a lot of time on the back of Figueroa. The deciding factor though was a second low blow by Caceres that got him deducted 2 points.
145 lbs.: Dustin Poirier defeated Max Holloway by 1st rd. Submission (Mounted Triangle/Arm Bar) [Submission of the Night]
- These two didn’t waste anytime and went right after each other. Holloway looked good on his feet so Poirier took the fight to the ground and dominated.
Main card (PPV)
185 lbs.: Ed Herman defeated Clifford Starks by 2nd rd. Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
- Starks hurt Herman with several right hands that busted up the left eye of Herman. In the second round Herman got a sweep right into side control and showed his solid ground game to secure the choke.
135 lbs.: Renan Barão defeated Scott Jorgensen by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jorgensen is one tough dude as Barao hit him with nearly everything for 15 minutes. Barao showed great balance and takedown defense not allowing Jorgensen to get a takedown. Barao extends his winning streak to 18 with the decision victory.
170 lbs.: Josh Koscheck defeated Mike Pierce by Split Decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- This one was very close. Koscheck got two takedowns to one from Pierce which probably got him them razor thin nod. Koscheck had his hands full in this fight and could have easily lost the fight.
265 lbs.: Fabricio Werdum defeated Roy Nelson by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27) [Fight of the Night]
- Werdum picked apart Nelson in this fight but that didn’t stop Nelson from continuing to come forward. Nelson landed a few good shot but nothing on the level that Werdum put on him.
Interim 170 lbs. Championship bout: Carlos Condit defeated Nick Diaz by Unanimous Decision (48-47, 49-46, 49-46)
- What a great edge of your seat fight. Condit had a gameplan and he stuck to it perfectly. Condit got in, landed his strikes and got out before Diaz could return the favor. Diaz called it backing up, but watch the fight and you’ll see it was his (Condit’s) gameplan to not get stuck against the cage.
Fighters received $65,000 for Fight Night bonuses