The UFC is back in Rio tonight with a card full of Brazilians looking to put on a performance for the fans at UFC 153. The Brazilian fans saw the card get hit by the injury bug that scrapped the top two fights on the card but ultimately got more then they could have ever hoped for tonight.
Headlining the UFC 153 fight card now is the UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, stepping in on short notice to face Stephan Bonnar in a three round light heavyweight bout. This “fun” bout has no title on the line like the original main event between featherweights Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar, but the fight will not be a let down.
In the UFC 153 co-main event will be Antonio Minotauro Nogueira making his return to the Octagon after Frank Mir broke his arm at UFC 140 last December. Big Nog’s opponent will be the dangerous Dave Herman, who is looking to snap his first career losing streak.
All in all, the UFC 153 fight card has 15 Brazilian fighters and at least one in every single bout. The HSBC Arena will be filled early with crazy passionate fans looking to cheer on their countrymen at UFC 153.
Follow all the night’s action right here as we bring you live results and analysis of each fight right after it finishes.
Preliminary Card (Facebook):
155 lbs.: Cristiano Marcello defeated Reza Madadi by Split Decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)
- Scrappy fight with little defense from either fighter. Marcello was very aggressive but was backing up all the time with his chin straight up. He got away with it though and won the fight, though it was not a 30-27 in his favor.
185 lbs.: Chris Camozzi defeated Luiz Cane by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Pretty much all standing in this fight. Camozzi was the aggressor and the other than a mistake that allowed Cane to take his back for about a minute, he was in control. Camozzi now has three wins in a row.
Preliminary Card (Fuel TV):
170 lbs.: Sergio Moraes defeated Renee Forte by 3rd rd Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
- Moraes looked good in round one, getting the fight to the ground and looking for a submission. In round two he was unable to do that which allowed Forte to out strike him. In the final round Moraes the fight to the ground and quickly moved the Forte’s back where he eventually finished the fight.
145 lbs.: Diego Brandao defeated Joey Gambino by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Gambino is a gamer without a doubt but Brandao dropped him multiple times on his way to a unanimous decision. Brandao looked better with his control and his cardio as well.
155 lbs.: Gleison Tibau defeated Francisco Trinaldo by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Tibau won rounds one and three and nearly was finished in the second round. He recovered from a big punch to survive the round and come back in the final frame and dominate.
- Watch out welterweights Demain Maia is 2-0 in the division now and finishing fights! Maia was relentless getting Story to the ground and looked very impressive here tonight.
- Great performance by Davis as he smothered Prado with his wrestling. Prado wore down towards the end of round one after working so hard at defending what Davis was trying to do. Davis hands Prado his first defeat and improves to 5-1 inside the Octagon.
170 lbs.: Jon Fitch defeated Erick Silva by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Fitch showed no ring rust and looked very good against a tough opponent. Silva had a deep submission in round two but Fitch proved once again he is tough to finish. The fight went the distance but make no mistake this was not a boring grinding fight from Jon Fitch.
205 lbs.: Glover Teixeira defeated Fabio Maldonado by 2nd rd. TKO (Doctor Stoppage)
- Standing and on the ground, Teixeira hit Maldonado with everything he had and could not finish the fight. Maldonado is a fighter with a massive heart and even with the doctor stopping the fight he wanted to go back out there for the third. Teixeira is for real!
265 lbs.: Antonio Minotauro Nogueira defeated Dave Herman by 2nd rd. Submission (Armbar)
- Jiu Jitsu might not work on Dave Herman but he still ended up tapping to the armbar of Nogueira. 11 months after having his arm broke, Nogueira got a big victory in Brazil and handed Herman his third UFC loss in a row.
205 lbs.: Anderson Silva defeated Stephan Bonnar by 1st rd. TKO
- A big knee to the midsection by Anderson Silva sent Bonnar crumbling to the canvas, covering up, waiting for the fight to be stopped. The middleweight champion is now 3-0 at light heavyweight but says he won’t fight at 205 lbs. again. Guess that means everyone should stop talking about a Silva vs. Jon Jones fight!