The UFC returns to Toronto, Canada tonight for UFC 152: Jones vs. Belfort with a 12 bout fight card from the Air Canada Centre. The stacked card is a welcome sight after the long hiatus between UFC fight cards. Along with the main event between light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and Vitor Belfort the night co-main event features the first ever UFC flyweight title fight between Joseph Benavidez and Demetrious Johnson.
Along with the two title fights the UFC 152 main event also has a very important middleweight bout between Michael Bisping and Brian Stann. The winner of this bout could find themselves either in a title fight or at least a number one contender’s bout.
It all starts with seven preliminary fights airing on Facebook and FX before the main event airs on Pay Per View. The UFC 152 action begins at appox. 3:30 pm PT / 6:30 pm ET and you can follow all the nights’ action right here along with fight to fight analysis.
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)
170 lbs.: Kyle Noke defeated Charlie Brenneman by 1st rd TKO
- Noke was out punching Brenneman from the get go and a right hand from Noke folds up Brenneman and ends the fight after a few more shots. Nice debut at welterweight by Noke as he needed only 45 seconds to earn the victory. UFC 152 gets started off with a bang!
135 lbs.: Mitch Gagnon defeated Walel Watson by 1st rd. Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
- Gagon caught Watson with a wild left hand after Watson missed with a superman punch. Once on the ground Gagon quickly locked in a choke and the fight was over in 69 seconds.
170 lbs.: Seth Baczynski defeated Simeon Thoresen by 1st rd. KO
- Thoresen was given Baczynski fits, not allowing him to get much in the stand up. That was until the end of the first round and Baczynski lands a left hook to the jaw that knocked out Thoresen.
PRELIMINARY CARD (FX)
145 lbs.: Marcus Brimage defeated Jim Hettes by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Brimage came out fast in round one and even dropped Hettes. In round two Hettes was able to get the fight to the ground but was not able to finish. The final round was close but Brimage kept it standing and wins it.
170 lbs.: Sean Pierson defeated Lance Benoist by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Pierson was in control for the first two rounds, out striking Benoist and avoiding the submissions. In the final round Benoist caught Pierson and nearly finished the fight but it was little too late.
155 lbs.: T.J. Grant defeated Evan Dunham by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
- The early Fight of the Night candidate as these two went back and forth for 15 minutes. Grant clearly did the more damage as Dunham was a bloody mess but Dunham got late takedowns in each round.
205 lbs.: Vinny Magalhaes defeated Igor Pokrajac by 2nd rd. submission (Armbar)
- Magalhaes got the fight to the ground in round one and nearly had the armbar but Pokrajac remained calm and ended up on top to end the round. Pokrajac got too confident though in round two though and took Magalhaes down which was obviously a bad idea because he was quickly tapping to an armbar by Magalhaes.
- The UFC 152 preliminary card delivered the goods and set the bar high for the main card.
MAIN CARD (PPV)
145 lbs.: Cub Swanson defeated Charles Oliveira by 1st rd. KO
- The best delayed reaction KO ever! Swanson hurt Oliveira with a body shot and then came over the top with a right hand to the temple. Oliveira tried to continue but the brain was having none of it and told the rest of the body to fall to the canvas.
205 lbs.: Matt Hamill defeated Roger Hollett by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Hamill used his wrestling to win this fight. He got a takedown in the first round and threw everything he had at him until the round ended. Round two was closer but Hamill still scored two takedowns. Round three was all Hamill with multiple takedowns against a completely tired Hollett.
185 lbs.: Michael Bisping defeated Brian Stann by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Stann landed a big right hand that rocked Bisping but it was too late in the round to fully take advantage. From that moment one though it was the takedowns from Bisping that won him the fight. Both fighters impressed though and now Bisping is knocking on the door for a title shot pretty hard.
125 lbs.: Demetrious Johnson defeated Joseph Benavidez by Split Decision (48-47, 47-48, 49-46)
- Speed kills and Demetrious Johnson has the speed. The fight was very hard to score (unless your Joe Rogan) but Benavidez had a tough time continually scoring against Johnson and as the fight went on he had to take chances which resulted in takedowns. Benavidez was the closet to finishing the fight with a choke in the third round but could not lock both hands. Johnson becomes the first ever UFC flyweight champion.
205 lbs.: Jon Jones [c] defeated Vitor Belfort by 4th rd. Submission (Americana)
- Jones took the fight to the ground right away and nearly had his arm ripped off by an armbar attempt from Belfort. Jones took over in round two though and picked Belfort a part the entire round. Jones hurt Belfort in round three with a kick to the midsection and went to the ground. Fight gets back up but surprisingly Belfort pulls guard again and the fight remains there until the bell. Belfort pulls guard again and the third time was the charm and Jones finished Belfort with a submission to remain champion and end UFC 152.